Baked Apples and Sweet Potatoes
2Autumn Glory apples (thinly sliced)
1orange sweet potato (peeled, then thinly sliced with a mandolin, then cut in half)
1purple sweet potato (peeled, then thinly sliced with a mandolin, then cut in half)
1chioggia beet (peeled, then thinly sliced with a mandolin, then cut in half)
2 tablespoonsOlive Oil
1 teaspooncoarse sea salt
2 tablespoonsDark Amber Maple Syrup
1⁄4 cupchopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Use a mandolin to prepare all of the apples and veggies. Try to keep everything a similar thickness so they cook more evenly in the oven. Additionally, when you cut the sweet potatoes and beets "in half", try to match the height of the apple slices. You want everything to be as uniform as possible.
- Once everything is sliced (I put them in separate mixing bowls) add a thin layer of olive oil and stir to coat evenly.
- Use non-stick spray to prepare a small casserole dish.
- Arrange the apples and veggies in layers with the edges facing up. Alternate: apple, orange sweet potato, purple sweet potato, beet, then repeat until the dish is full. You might have a few extra slices of things depending on the size of your baking dish. You can save these for later, or pan fry... whatever you'd like!
- Sprinkle on the sea salt.
- Bake for 40 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and drizzle on maple syrup and sprinkle on the chopped nuts.
- Serve immediately.
Yields 6 Servings