Decadent Pecan Pie without Corn Syrup, #vegan #gf
1 3⁄4 cupCooked Ancient Harvest Quinoa (for the crust)
1⁄2 cupBrown Rice Flour (for the crust )
2 tablespoonsGround Flax (for the crust)
4 tablespoonsVegan Stick Butter (for the crust, I used Earth Balance)
4 tablespoonsDark Amber Maple Syrup (for the crust)
3 tablespoonsGround Flax
9 tablespoonsWarm Water
2 tablespoonsVegan Stick Butter (I used Earth Balance)
1⁄4 cupApple Cider
3⁄4 cupsCoconut Sugar
1 teaspoonPure Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoonGround Ginger
1⁄2 cupDark Amber Maple Syrup
1 cupCubed Butternut Squash
1⁄2 cupVanilla Almond Milk
2 cupsWhole Pecans
*You can always bake this in a regular pie crust -- and just follow the instructions for the filling for the pecan pie. Up to you!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare your flax eggs -- mix 3 Tbsp flax with 9 Tbsp warm water. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Combine crust ingredients. Bake for 12 minutes, then take out of oven until pie filling is ready.
- In a medium saucepan, combine ingredients (butter through cornstarch) over low heat, stirring frequently. It will thicken up over 10 minutes or so while the crust is pre-baking.
- Cook your butternut squash -- I microwaved mine covered with 1/2 cup of water for 4 minutes on High. Then, drain the water...and add in the almond milk. Use an immersion stick blender to puree.
- Add butternut squash/almond milk mixture to the syrup-y mixture on the stovetop as well as the flax eggs made in step 2. Then, stir in pecans.
- Pour into the partially-baked pie crust, and then bake entire pie for 60 minutes.
- Let cool for an hour before slicing.
Yields 12 Slices