Pomegranate Rosemary Braised Short Ribs over Polenta
8beef, bone-in short ribs
3sprigs of fresh rosemary
2 cupspomegranate juice
1 cupdry red wine
1 tablespoonOlive Oil
1⁄2 cuppomegranate arils (for garnish)
1 cupcorn meal
5 cupsWater (or beef stock)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Salt and pepper both sides of the short ribs liberally and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Pulse carrots, celery, and garlic in a food processor until it forms a paste like consistency.
- Add oil to a large oven safe dutch oven and heat over medium high heat.
- When the pan is hot add short ribs, in two batches so that you don’t overcrowd the pan, and sear on both sides for 3-4 minutes until a nice crust forms.
- Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add pulsed veggies to the hot pan and scrape up any bits in the bottom of the pan left from searing the short ribs and season again with salt and pepper.
- Sauté veggies until they get tender, about 3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan by adding pomegranate juice and wine to the veggies and stirring to scrape up all of the brown bits on bottom of pan.
- Add in rosemary at this time and let the sauce cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add in short ribs to the liquid and then place the lid on top of the dutch oven and place into the oven to cook for about 3 hours until meat is tender.
- Remove the lid for the last 20 minutes of cook time to reduce and thicken the sauce.
- When the short ribs are almost done make the polenta by bringing water or stock to a boil, salt the water liberally, and then whisk in corn meal to ensure it doesn’t clump up on you.
- Reduce the heat and stir the polenta every couple of minutes until the polenta has thickened. This will take about five minutes.
- Add butter to the polenta along with a good amount of salt and pepper according to taste.
- Serve short ribs over the polenta and pour a little extra sauce over top along with a good sprinkling of fresh pomegranate arils.
Yields 6 Servings