Sweet Potato Pie with a Maple Quinoa Crust
2 cupsCooked Quinoa (for the crust)
1⁄2 cupBrown Rice Flour (for the crust, or sub all-purpose flour)
2 tablespoonsGround Flax (for the crust)
4 tablespoonsVegan Butter (for the crust, or sub regular butter)
4 tablespoonsDark Amber Maple Syrup (for the crust)
4 cupsSweet Potato (approx 2 medium sweet potatoes)
1 cupVanilla Almond Milk
3⁄4 cupsCoconut Sugar
1⁄4 teaspoonGround Cloves
1⁄4 teaspoonGround Ginger
2Eggs (or sub Flax Eggs (2 Tbsp ground flax + 6 Tbsp warm water) to keep vegan)
I used Earth Balance vegan butter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare the crust by stirring the cooked quinoa, brown rice flour, flax, and maple syrup together.
- Then, use a fork to fold in the room-temperature butter. Be sure to combine evenly.
- Press the quinoa crust into a pie plate that is either greased with coconut oil or sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Bake the empty pie crust for 10 minutes.
- Peel, dice, then boil the sweet potatoes in water to soften -- approximately 20 minutes.
- Drain the water and put the sweet potatoes in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the almond milk and use an immersion blender to puree.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Pour into pre-baked quinoa crust.
- Bake for one hour, or until a knife comes out clean.
- Be sure to check on the crust partway through to make sure it's not burning. If it's browning too fast, add foil around the edges to protect it.
- Dig in!
Yields 1 Pie