Sweet Potato Muffins with Walnut Streusel // via Nosh and Nourish #superfoodsateverymeal
Cooking the sweet potato: Either bake the sweet potato (sliced in half) for 1 hour in a 400°F oven or cook whole in a microwave on high for 5 minutes. Whatever you do, don’t boil the sweet potato because it will retain too much water and make the muffins mushy—lesson learned from experience!
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C, or gas mark 6). Spray the cups of a muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- Add the sweet potato, milk, coconut oil, and sugar to a large mixing bowl. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. Whisk to combine.
- Add to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the muffin cups, dividing it evenly.
- To make the topping: Mix together the walnuts, coconut sugar, coconut oil, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Press a small spoonful of crumble onto each muffin.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Yields 12 Muffins